Thursday 10 May 2012

A Pilgrimage


“The work in this show is about a journey. It is more than a journey between two places. It is an interior journey played out on paper and canvas. These paintings are about thoughts and ideas some of which I have had for many years. A pilgrimage and quest to find and connect with something bigger than self.
The characters in the tale come from a variety of sources. The figure in the red robe I saw during a church service. The dog and the horse belong to me and accompany me when I am out drawing. The fox began to appear in my work in 2009 when I remembered a poem “Thought of a Fox,” by Ted Hughes. Fox, like a thought is seen leading the way, or lagging behind not knowing which way to go.
The idea of pilgrimage seems to appeal to an instinctive movement of the human heart wrote Nicholas Shrady. My pilgrim meets other ways of thinking en route; wanders into churches and temples as I have done and sleeps under the stars, thinking of the words of St Francis of Assisi". Janet Melrose, May 2012.

















'Sleeping Under The Stars', acrylic and mixed media on paper by Janet Melrose.

"The road of life twists and turns and no two directions are ever the same. Yet our lessons come from the journey, not the destination".  Don Williams, Jr (American Novelist and Poet, b. 1968)

















'Following Signs', acrylic on canvas by Janet Melrose.

Speak soon....








No comments:

Post a Comment